PTW
  • Users Online: 6840
  • Home
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
Home About us Editorial board Ahead of print Current issue Search Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2022  |  Volume : 13  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 23-27

Low-grade gliomas: A single-institute experience


1 Department of Radiation Oncology, Sher-IKashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India
2 Department of Medical Oncology, Sher-IKashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Shahida Nasreen
Department of Radiation Oncology, Sher-IKashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Soura, Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/jrcr.jrcr_42_21

Rights and Permissions

Introduction: Low-grade gliomas (LGG) are relatively rare tumors. They comprise 5% of all brain tumors and 15% of all gliomas. As per WHO classification diffuse infiltrating LGG s fall under Grade II tumors. Although these tumors are slow growing but eventually they progress to high-grade gliomas, so these patients should be treated aggressively. Materials and Methods: From January 2012 to January 2017, clinical information of patients, who had LGG, was collected retrospectively from patient registries at the radiation oncology department of our institute. Results: A total of 25 patients were analyzed. Out of the entire cohort, 64% were males, and 36% were females. The most common presenting symptom in our patients was seizures and blurring of vision (44% each). Cerebrum was the mos common site of lesion in 19 out of 25 (76.0%) cases, and among those 19 cases, frontal lobe was involved in 12 cases (63.1%). Craniotomy with tumor decompression was performed in all patients. Gross total excision was possible in only 2 (8%) out of 25 patients, whereas the remaining 23 (92%) patients underwent subtotal or near total excision only. These 23 patients received concurrent chemoradiation by cobalt-60 unit to a dose of 60 Gy with weekly temozolomide. 18 out of 23 (78.2%) patients received adjuvant six cycles temozolomidein view of residual disease after concurrent chemoradiotherapy. At the last follow-up, all the 25 patients were alive, 20 patients had no disease on contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging, while five patients had stable disease. Conclusion: We conclude that LGG is a disease of young adults with seizures as most common presenting symptom. If treated with multidisciplinary treatment these patients have the long disease and disability-free survival. Neurocognitive dysfunction is low in our study group, but it needs longer follow-up.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed658    
    Printed55    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded56    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal